Ankeny United Church of Christ
Job Title: Christian Education Coordinator
Reports to: Pastor
Salary: $12-15/hour, 10-15 hours/week, 9-month
Collaborates with: Christian Education Working Group
Date Approved by Council: 5/2019
Job classification: Non-exempt
Physical requirements: light lifting.
Background check required
Contact: [email protected]
Summary of Job Description:
The Christian Education Coordinator will work to nurture and enhance the educational ministries of the church by providing administrative support to the Christian Education Committee, coordinating Sunday School programs throughout the year, and involving the youth in the life of the church. This person should have a warm, inviting and accepting personality that is driven by their faith in God and genuine interest in nurturing the spiritual growth of the young people of our congregation.
- Build relationships with youth and adults by engaging in the planned Christian Education activities (Sunday School, Youth Group, Intergenerational Day Camp VBS) carried out by volunteers.
- Assist Pastor and Christian Education Committee with involving youth in worship services such as special music, liturgist, special readings, etc.)
- Lead and support a team of volunteer teachers in the educational activities of the church with priority guidance from the Christian Education Committee by maintaining an online system of scheduling and accountability for both teachers and families to sign-up for Sunday School and Seasonal Wednesday evening programs.
- Administer and participate as the on-site church staff resource for Sunday morning and Wednesday evening programs, ensuring that the church school operates under safe church guidelines.
- Own the Christian Education schedule, communicating with parents and caregivers to invite participation in church school programs and with the Christian Education Working Group to ensure proper planning.
- Care for children and desire to help them develop in faith and practice.
- A welcoming presence with strong communication skills and commitment to collaboration.
- Attention to detail and schedules.
- Maturity in faith and expressing commitment to Progressive Christian Theology
Ankeny UCC is:
A Welcoming Church Family, Exploring Progressive Christian Theology, Caring Within and Serving Beyond. No matter who you are on life’s journey, you are invited to walk with us. That means we are LGBTQ-friendly, believe that children should be both heard and seen (and even lead worship), take the Bible seriously but not literally, use inclusive language, and have a fully accessible building.
Christian Education Committee Support:
The Christian Education Committee will work in open partnership with the Christian Education Coordinator to provide educational opportunities for Ankeny UCC. We commit to support our Christian Education Coordinator by doing the following:
- Provide support and knowledge to encourage a successful Christian Education program.
- Recruit teachers and students.
- Provide curriculum.
- Support in planning new youth opportunities such as worship participation.
- Support musical component to Sunday School program.
- Partnership in planning special music programs.
- Provide two deacon partners on the Christian Education Team with a direct line to Council for concerns and support.
- Assist in planning a teacher training program.
Please send resume to [email protected].
Please call the church office at 515-964-4647 or email Ankeny UCC at the above address with any questions.