Ankeny United Church of Christ began its first meetings much the same way the early church of Jesus began long ago. In the Walnut Street home of Mary Campbell in 1898, First Congregational Church of Ankeny was born.
Its charter membership consisted of 41 people and the Rev. Joseph Steele was called as the first Pastor. A church was soon built at second and Cherry in Ankeny.
The original building burnt to the ground in December of 1931. The unused Brethern Church was purchased by First Congregational Church at the corner of Third and School, and the church continued its mission there.
In 1957 the congregation voted to join the newly organized merger of the Evangelical and Reformed and the Congregational Christian Church into the United Church of Christ. The church changed its name to Ankeny United Church of Christ (Congregational) and found itself heading into the 1960ís with the building of a new educational wing. In November of 1965 the church sanctuary was remodeled.
The church building at Third and School streets served as the home of Ankeny U.C.C. until January 16th, 1994 when a final worship service was held.
For the last 14 years Ankeny U.C.C. has remained in our current facility at 602 SE Delaware Avenue.